Thursday, August 27, 2015

Bishop Jake: Play it Like You Mean It

This is the final post in the series "Getting Our Bearings." Missed the earlier posts? No problem. Click on the these links for Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4.



I play guitar. These days, my skills have eroded from neglect. 
Once upon a time, I spent hours working on bluegrass licks and delta blues tunes. Even so, quitting my day job would not have been a good idea. At their peak my abilities never rose above the level of enthusiastic amateur.
By contrast to my middling skills, there are genuine guitar virtuosos. 
Delta blues artists like Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters shaped that genre. Doc Watson stood out among bluegrass pickers. One of the greatest guitarists of all time was jazzman Django Reinhardt. And if I’m going to be really honest about my listening habits, Neil Young still rocks.
You may not agree that this is a list of virtuoso guitarists. Your list may include different names and different genres. But you probably know what I mean by “virtuoso.” 
A virtuoso has achieved a level of excellence that serves as an example to others. She or he influences how a community of musicians approaches their instruments. In guitar circles you learn to play by sitting with and emulating more accomplished musicians.
The Christian moral life bears a resemblance to playing the guitar. Being good means being virtuous.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment