Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lent: It's Time....

Watch the Video


Question: What is your relationship to time?
Write your Answer - click here
Share: #ssjetime #time

Transcript of Video:
The gift of time is one of God’s greatest gifts to us. The Book of Genesis describes how God created the heavens and the earth and this beautiful world in which we inhabit. It then goes on to say that on the seventh day God rested, and it’s the seventh day that God called holy. Now you might think that the first thing that God calls holy might be perhaps a holy mountain or a holy lake. But no, the first thing God calls holy is time. Time is a precious holy gift.
Well, these days I think we know only too well how we have sadly damaged and polluted the gift of God’s Creation. And I think we’re perhaps less aware of how much we have also damaged and, one could say, polluted the gift of time. For many of us, time is experienced no longer as a precious gift, but almost like an enemy. We haven’t got enough time. “I can never get everything done that I want to do. Oh, if only I could have more time.” Or on the other hand we waste time and we fritter it away and kill time. All of these things I think – which bear witness to a sense of disorderedness, a disordered relationship with this precious gift.
So how might we redeem time? I hope that over this series we can together explore ways in which, in our own personal lives, we can reorder that gift in our own lives. We can perhaps ask the question: how I might reorder time in my own life, so that my life can begin to be more abundant and that in my life I may use the gift of time in such a way as to be much happier and to glorify God? Perhaps we can ask that question in the words which I love, the beautiful words from the poet Mary Oliver: “What is it that you plan to do with this one wild and precious life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment